Sunday, November 4, 2012

T is for Thankful

You can always tell it's November by the ridiculous amount of Facebook posts that begin with "Today I am thankful for...". Normally I do not participate in this, but I have A LOT to be thankful for this year, so I figured I'd give in to this trend ;).

I am thankful for my job. I know how hard it is to get a job right now, and I certainly know how hard it is to get a job in teaching. Waking up at 5 A.M. and driving to work in the dark every morning is awful. Writing lesson plans, attending dozens of meetings and trainings, and assessing students is exhausting (YES, we ASSESS in Pre-K...I even had to give a standardized test a few weeks ago). I will admit, sometimes I feel like teaching material gets more of an emphasis than teaching children. Despite these things, I am thankful that I am able to wake up every morning and drive to an awesome school. I am thankful that I am greeted every morning by enthusiastic coworkers who give 110% every day (seriously, my coworkers are incredible). I am thankful that I have an administrative team that not only goes to bat for their teachers but also shows compassion for each and every student. I am thankful that I am putting my degree to use in a job that I love. At a recent training, an instructor shared a quote with us, "We are planting trees under whose shade we may not sit." The paperwork is tedious, the hours are long, and the pay, to be frank, sucks, but that quote sums up why it is all worth it. :)

I am thankful for my students. I am thankful that I get to experience teaching an age group where EVERYTHING is new.  My kids have so many "AHA!" moments and it is incredible to watch their little minds at work. I am thankful for the dozens of laughs they provide me. I am thankful that I get the privilege of being their teacher, friend, confidant, and playmate. I am thankful for my students' families. It is no secret that my kids come from low socioeconomic backgrounds. Despite this, their parents give everything they have to make sure their children are getting a quality education. They communicate and cooperate with me. They attend school events. They volunteer in our classroom. They donate items to our classroom. They come and eat lunch with their kids. They bring me gifts for the classroom. Believe me when I say they are the BEST!!


I am thankful for my parapro. I shared this in a prior post, but when I began my job I was nervous about working with a parapro! I was nervous about working with someone who had been at my school, in Pre-K for sixteen years! Would she like me? Would she approve of my lessons? Would she judge me? Would she think I was a bad teacher? (Have I mentioned I am a worrywart?) I can't even put in words how amazing she is! She has gone through a lot of family issues this year but has still given her all to her job, to me, and to our students. On my first day she had flowers, a balloon, and a necklace waiting for me. She brings me fresh food from her garden and chocolate (doesn't she know I'm trying to fit into a wedding dress?!). I am so thankful for her advice, ideas, and friendship.


I am thankful for my friends (duh). They live ALL over the country, but they are the BEST. I am thankful for my teaching friends and the stories we can share about our first jobs and crazy students. I am thankful for my Augusta friends. I am thankful that we can go a few weeks without talking and pick right up where we left off. And, it goes without saying, I am always thankful for my best friend for every and any reason you could ever be thankful for a friend.


I am thankful for my Dad. Let's be real, he's the best. I am thankful that I can call and rant (or rave) about my day and he truly GETS IT. I am thankful that he comes to Atlanta just to paint our sunroom or fix a leak. I am thankful that when I go home to Augusta he STILL takes my car to get serviced or get gas (and yes, at the age of twenty-two I am well aware of how to pump gas on my own). I am thankful that he enjoys doing those little things for me. I am thankful that I am his daughter.

I am thankful for my Mom. She could essentially rule the world. I am thankful for the shopping trips she still takes me on even though I have a "big girl job." I am thankful for her SERIOUS assistance wedding planning. I am thankful for the groceries she buys us "just because." I am thankful that I can call her anytime (whether it be 3 A.M. or in the middle of a board meeting...whoops) and she is always there to listen or help. I am thankful that I am her daughter!


Of course I am thankful for Chris! I am thankful that he puts up with my incessant discussion of lesson plans and all things wedding. I am thankful that he doesn't question me when I say things like, "I'm going to make play-doh on the stove tomorrow" or "I signed you up to run the cake walk at my school's fall festival" or "I'm picking out what you're wearing for our engagement pictures." I am thankful that he understands when I have to spend all night working on school work or have mini-breakdowns about save-the-date designs. I am thankful that I get to spend my life with such an intelligent, driven, person. I am thankful for all of the memories we have shared over the last almost six (!!) years, and I am so thankful (and excited) for the life we are getting ready to start!


Happy November, everyone!! What are you thankful for? 

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful I have a friend that cares so much about a child's future! I am thankful she stays strong when the "going gets tough" with her students. I am thankful for my AM-UYAH-ZONG friend, Paige! You are my hero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything kim said and more! I am thankful for YOU! I am thankful I can call you a true friend who is there for me no matter what, who always provides me with many laughs, keeps me on my game, shares ideas and tools, and understand me!!

    Love this post. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete